Tuesday 28 June 2011

Will you marry me?

I've been thinking on what it means to ask this question "Will you marry me?" and I discovered that it's more than "mr right" kneeling before "snow white".

It is true that the question gives a sweet feeling and a sense of fulfillment. In my opinion, it means “I’ve found you and won’t let you go. Are you coming with me?” but I know there's more.

I remember years ago when my husband asked this question.What a sweet memory… Aawww!! It reminds me of candles, romantic settings, drinks, eye contact, smiles, the ring and sometimes the shy lady’s answer.
Regardless of how sweet the feeling, memory or story is, your understanding of this question and the answer that follows determines the success of your marital relationship.
Come with me, as we run through this question together:
Two things are involved:
  1. The plan
  2. The package
The Plan: No one plans to fail. When a young man asks his princess to marry him, he's planned for nothing but success and a great future. The young woman on the other hand knows there’s a future with prince charming…so her answer goes “yes” and they both begin their marital journey.
When you ask a lady to marry you, you are simply saying I’ve got a plan; I plan to succeed with you. “I want us to tour the world together”, “I want us to have fun together”, “I want us to have 3 kids” or “I want us to share our love and successes”. Whatever your dreams or plans, they are great!  But it’s more than having a plan. There is more!

The package: It is one thing to have a map (plan) when going on a journey but it is more important to brace up with the determination to arrive at your desired destination.
Your marital journey is a package that is not without challenges. When you ask that lady to marry you, you’re saying “I know you’re a package with flaws but I’m ready to love you still”. If you are the princess and you say “yes”, you’re just saying “I know there are times you’ll make me cry but I’ll remain loving and forgiving. Either way, you’re both saying:

  • I am a package, waiting to be unwrapped; will you still love me even if what you find is not as pleasant as you thought?
  • Is it ok if I've got baggages and troubles from my past?
  • Will you love me the same when you discover that I have a weakness with filth, lies, greed, deceit, laziness or something else?
  • Will you look me in the eye and stand by me in times of trouble?
  • I’m rich today, what if I became a pauper tomorrow? Will you marry my pauper status also?
  • I have some surprising ignorance: are you ready to marry those too?
  • Will you give up your dreams to make sure I fulfil my dreams or is it just about what you want to do?
  • Are you ready to pursue my visions and dreams even when they sound senseless and different from what you normally enjoy?
  • Will you be united with me when there are no children from this union against our expectation?
  • If you suddenly discover that I do not know how to cook or groom the house as you had expected, will your love still be as passionate as it is?
  • Areyou ready to stand by me when my health, ministry, work, career, prestige fails?
  • Will you stay with me when I choose in-laws over you – ignorantly saying that “blood is thicker than water”?

The bible says while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us Romans 5:8. That means He (Jesus)  knew our weaknesses, yet went all the way out to love us and make us His bride. He’s always proud to call us children even when we fall or fail.
If you are married, ask yourself “have I really married my spouse?” If you’re single ask yourself “Am I ready to marry my fiancé/fiancée?” Are you being sincere?
If you had known his/her weaknesses, would you still have gone ahead? Even now that you know those weaknesses, are you still ready to go all the way out and help them overcome those challenges? Are you ready to shoulder the responsibilities of being united with that man or woman even when it feels like storming out of the relationship? Will you work hard at covering his/her weaknesses, offering support and education in those areas? Are you ready to forgive and start again when they lie to you or betray your trust (even if they do it a million times?).
What are you willing to lay down for the love of your life? Don’t look at their areas of problems or flaws, see the potential in them that they can overcome and conquer those weaknesses. Fight with them as they fight. Reassure them of your love.

The success of your relationship lies in your willingness to MARRY your spouse (or finace/finacee’s) weaknesses.

Like I always say, it may be tough, it may be easy but it’s worth a try.
Thanks for stopping by my dear friend and watch this space for more on Love, marriage, and what else?

No comments:

Post a Comment